Sunday, October 26, 2008

Taking responsibility...seriously

"I'm taking responsibility--
for my thoughts, my actions, my words.
For how I spend my time and my money.
And I'm taking responsibility for my personal relationships."



When was the last time you heard anything like this from a politician, business executive, pastor or professor?



The more important question? When was the last time you said or thought anything like this yourself?



Ouch! For most of us, the word "responsible" isn't fun. It sounds boring. It sounds serious. And maybe it is--but responsibility is important.


In this crazy world of political firestorms, moral failures and economic uncertainty, it is far too easy to play the blame game. It's also easy to become so overwhelmed that you feel powerless to do anything at all.


Here's the good news: you and I may not be in control of everything--but we can be in charge of some things.


This post I want to challenge us (I'm included here, too!) to be personally responsible for the some things we can control. Here are some questions, thoughts, facts and ideas for us both to consider:


  • Why do I think the way I think?

    This question sounds pretty basic. But sometimes, our perspectives are so ingrained that we forget what they're based on. In the last few months, I've heard good people I care about say things ranging from, "Men are pigs" to "Women are crazy." I've heard "Democrats are evil" and "Right-wing religious people are so ignorant." For the record, I don't personally agree with any of those statements...but when I've heard them from others, I've wanted to ask them this simple question, "Why?"

    Often, we think certain things simply because we always have. Maybe because we were hurt in the past. Or we believe something simply because our families raised us to think that way.

    And maybe what you and I think is actually right--I personally just feel it's important to own what you think--and to really understand what it's grounded in.

    [Important sidenotes for Christians: In the quest to know why you think what you think, you're probably going to look at the Bible for guidance (and I hope you do). The Bible has a lot to say about topics I've heard discussed recently--answers for questions like, "How does God view the poor? The rich? Whose job is it to help those in need?", "How does the Bible talk about the role of government (kings)?", "What's God's perspective on men? Women?" or "How does the Bible talk about work? Money? My life's purpose?"

    But the Bible is referred to as a sword for a reason--its truth is sharp and can pierce your heart--or it can be dangerous if you view it through the lens of, "How can I use Scripture to prove my point?" (See "Google faith" post.) I'm not going to use this post to tell you what I think (that kind of defeats the point of encouraging you to take responsibility for it yourself!), but I would challenge you to look at the Bible honestly--and if you have questions, to talk with Christian leaders you respect.]
  • How do I spend my time?

    Time is one resource that's distributed equally to every living person on this planet--we all have 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week and 365 days each year. But what are we doing with it?

    If you asked most people about their goals, you'd hear, "Spending more time with my family", "Building stronger relationships", "Growing in my faith," "Helping people in need" or "Getting in shape."

    But do we make time to pursue the things that really matter to us?

    A lot of people end up wasting time...watching TV, surfing the Internet, staying in the wrong job...instead of viewing time as an asset to help them reach their goals. I'm not advocating a life of constant busyness (that's stressful!), but taking responsibility for how you use your time (and yes, sleep can be good and healthy, too). :)
  • How do I spend my money?

  • This is an interesting question for a lot of people right now. And if you know me, you know I love my Starbucks and fashion bargains...but I could not in good conscience spend money on those things without prioritizing the things that matter so much more. For one, tithing (yup, a full 10%) and giving additional offerings to my church. When it comes down to it, that's a non-negotiable spending commitment every Christian should take serious responsibility for....with a smile (because it is so rewarding!).

    [If you're a pastor or leader reading this--don't be shy about telling your members how important giving is, what a difference it makes or even how their money is spent. (See also "The Emmys, the Bible and the grace of giving") I think some people honestly have no idea...or don't think about...how much it takes to pay electric bills, support missionaries or help children in the community. Be straight-up honest and real with us. It's important.]
    And it sounds basic...but paying bills is important. I believe in avoiding interest charges by paying off credit cards every month (which means not over charging!). And if you can't do that yet, start paying more than the minimums...and avoid extra spending.

    Beyond that? Personally, I think it's important to save for my future and retirement (yes, working at a financial services company has really helped me to see how important it is to start...and to start early).

The bottom line? Real change starts with you and me individually--taking personal responsbility for our perspectives, our time and our wallets. Let's not worry about stuff we can't control. Let's not put all of our faith in John McCain or Barack Obama. Let's put our trust in God--and our God-given ability to make choices. Let's start to take responsibility...seriously.









No comments: