Saturday, February 24, 2007

Are you willing to be (really) loved?


Q: Would you rather love or be loved?

A: That's a tough question. It's really hard to let yourself be loved ...

I sat in a friend's living room watching this dialogue (or something really close!) between Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman on Oprah's pre-Oscar special. I found myself agreeing with Nicole's answer and it really made me think.

Most of us have a hard time accepting a compliment, much less real love. What's your reaction when you hear these words?:

"I'm proud of you."
"You're beautiful."
"You did such an amazing job on that project ... I'm so glad you're part of our team."
"You're really good at XYZ. I appreciate you."

If you're like me, you can be surprised by kindness, love or admiration. When I hear compliments like these, sometimes I'm stunned. I'll think:

"Is he really talking about me?"
"I'd look a lot better if I lost 10 pounds ... "
"She's so much better at XYZ."
"I don't deserve this. I'm not perfect. I could have done better."

I don't always doubt myself, sometimes I'll answer with a simple, "Thank you." But it can be hard.

I think most of us don't see how amazing .... how lovable ... we are. We can recognize the strength, beauty and talent in others--but often we're not able to see it in ourselves.

I'm not saying that we should be conceited or narcissistic. Believe me, I'm not singing, "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" when I look in the mirror. :) But I think there's a healthy balance of knowing who you are, appreciating the good things about yourself God has given you, and walking in confidence and strength.

Part of it starts with seeing yourself as God sees you ... but what does He think about who you are?

More on that next.

No comments: