Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Vulnerability

Vulernability has never been one of my favorite things. In my life, I'd much rather focus on strength ... but I think I'm learning that the two concepts may be intertwined. Let me explain ...

All relationships require some level of vulnerability. I'm not talking about the people who share sob stories to strangers in the grocery store or on the bus (that's a little extreme!).

What I mean is that you have to step out to talk to someone new. You make yourself vulnerable when you tell a joke, talk about God, share a goofy embarassing moment or discuss a political event. You're vulnerable when you share an original idea in a boardroom or at a small group meeting. You're vulnerable when you write something and share it with someone else (whether it's in a blog or a school assignment discussing your opinions).

But it's strange--that vulnerability can actually bring strength--either to you and your own personal growth or to a relationship. At the same time, vulnerability makes us ... well ... vulnerable. The more we put ourselves out there, the more we risk being criticized or let down.

But even with the risks, vulnerability is a necessary part of our lives--it's what bonds us together in real, genuine relationships. And relationshiops are key to who we are as people trying to fulfill lives of purpose and meaning.

When I think about tragic events, like the recent Virginia Tech massacre, one of the core lessons for our society is the importance of real, genuine friendships. The situation at Virginia Tech is a tragedy not only because of the innocent lives that were destroyed, but also because of one life--the life of one man--plagued by the destructive power of loneliness, depression and anger.

There is strength in the vulnerability friendship requires. Even though I still don't like the concept of vulnerability, I am grateful for the strength it has brought to friendships in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its ironic that in today's society vulnerability is seen as a sign of weakness. I agree it is a sign of strength in that it deepens the foundations of friendship in a profound manner. From sitting in a room crying with friends, experiencing victory by overcoming adversity or confiding in a best friend, vulnerability is observed through watching or listening in our world around us. I recommend that everybody especially in the Christian community reads Larry Crabb's 'Connecting,' There is much that 'we' as Christians can learn about being vulnerable.