Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Critics' Corner


When I hear the phrase "The Critics' Corner", I think of the old guy who looks like Albert Einstein (complete with crazy mad scientist hair) who critiques movies for the Today show. I don't like to put myself in the same category as him ... but sometimes I find myself hanging out in "The Critics' Corner." Let me explain...

Everyday Editing: The Perks and Perils

I edit every day. Yes, it's part of my job as a writer and editor. But beyond that, I edit the words I say, the conversations I have (my sisters and close friends have been witness to the reenactments/self scripts), the clothes in my ever-expanding closet, the words I read in newspapers and magazines, the way other people act, the messages I hear at church ... you get the picture.

Editing has its perks--if I didn't edit my closet, for example, the Goodwill wouldn't have as many donations each year and I wouldn't be able to find my pink and brown heels with the flowers on top. If I didn't (sometimes) edit my own words, I could hurt someone's feelings or damage a relationship.

But there is definitely a downside to editing. By over-analyzing in the name of constructive criticism, am I stopping myself from just simply enjoying a moment, an idea, or an open and honest conversation? Am I missing the good in a message or a person (including myself here, too--most of us are probably tougher on ourselves than we are on others) through critique?

Questions to balance your inner critic and optimist

I think balance is key. Here are a few questions I'm working on to balance my inner critic with my inner optimist ... because let's face it: I don' t want to hang out in the corner with the mad scientist:
  • Is my critic constructive?: Can I do something practical to make XYZ situation/conversation/relationship better? Or am I just being critical over something I have no power to change?

  • Is my critic conquering a corner alone?: Am I missing out on something by holding to my own opinion (even though it might be right)?

  • Is my critic closed to new evidence?: First impressions can be deceiving--if the evidence changes to something positive, am I open enough to change my opinion? Am I unwilling to give people the benefit of the doubt? Am I choosing to ignore the other side of a situation? Are there things behind the scenes I may not be aware of?
  • Is my critic missing the big picture?: By focusing on minute details, is my critic missing the bigger picture of a person's heart or character, the truth behind a message (despite a flawed presenter), or a core goal, issue or accomplishment?

  • Is my critic a hypocrite?: Am I criticizing others without taking a hard look in the mirror first?

  • Is my optimist silent?: Sometimes I think society expects criticism, but we don't express optimism or encouragement enough. It's important that we allow the inner optimists in all of us to speak up.

  • Is my optimist blind?: Optimism (and criticism) can both blind us (like that old saying, "Love is blind..."). The best optimists believe in their ideas and go after them despite potential challenges--they don't ignore the challenges, but face them head on.

  • Is my optimist open to constructive criticism?: Sometimes the optimist in me can casually dismiss criticism (especially if the "source" is someone I don't usually agree with). Sometimes, it's important to dismiss unfair critiques ... but in a lot of criticism, there can be grains of truth that could help me better myself.

No comments: