Saturday, May 5, 2007

My Lunch with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker


This is not a joke...
Today I had lunch at Quizno's with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker.
It's true (really!) ... and I thought that would be a fabulous way to start a sentence in my blog. :)
Here's the scoop: I was waiting in line to purchase a small BBQ chicken sub when I looked out the window and saw a grown man dressed as an unidentifiable superhero (complete with a mask, gun, and a cape). At first, I was a little alarmed. Was a deranged terrorist on the loose? Would I lose my life over a sandwich? Would we make the evening news while I had turquoise paint on my arms and legs (yeah, I was looking really schlumpy after painting all morning)?
After noticing my puzzled expression, my sister said, "Look behind you!" And then I saw them--Darth, Luke and a whole clan of avid Star Wars' fans...was I dreaming? Stuck in a nightmare? No, just a suburban strip mall Quizno's. Could life be any more bizarre?!?
It turns out that a comic book store nearby was having a promotional event. And while we ate our small subs, my sister and I could overhear bits of the Star Wars' Fan Club's conversations...Darth talked like Napoleon Dynamite (even though he was probably 45), Luke was explaining how he found his special attire (this white plastic Power Ranger-looking get-up) and the group actively discussed George Lucas' writing and filmmaking skills.
My sister and I had a REALLY hard time holding back our laughter. These people really took themselves seriously. And it was funny. And I wanted to tell someone about it. So now you know about my weirdest lunch at Quizno's ever...and I hope it made you smile.

No comments: