Monday, May 19, 2008

In hot pursuit

This week I was reminded of a familiar Bible verse that continually makes me smile. It was the special theme verse of my freshman year girls' dorm at Christian college:


"Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me..." (Psalm 56:1) *

LOL (3F girls that was for you!). :) Anyway, I was reminded of that idea after reading an article in Boundless (Focus on the Family's webzine for Christian young adults). The article is written for guys and called "Pursue Her." The author (a guy himself!) says:


Rather than saddling up the proverbial steed,

many guys seem to be languishing in the tower,

waiting for their princesses to stumble upon them.


I promise--this post is not a rant against guys.
Although it would be easy for single women to use that kind of verbiage to get on a preachy soapbox targeted at the guys in our lives, I think the core of the author's argument has broader applications for all of us--single, married, guys, girls, old, young. Let me explain a bit...

The author discusses a conversation with his 88-year-old grandfather about relationships. His grandfather pointed to Proverbs 18:22: "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord."

The profound thing his grandpa said to him?
"Find is a verb."

What else does God want us to find?

After I read that, I thought, "What exactly does God want me to find? What are some of the other things God tells us all to pursue?"
This whole idea of active pursuit is interesting in light of common thinking in our world--like the view that, "Everything you need is found within." Wrong!
Repeatedly, God instructs us to find and pursue certain values or actions. I did a search for the words "find" and "pursue" in the Bible and found some things God wants us to go after.
So instead of trying to come up with a creative conclusion to this post, I'll leave us both with a challenge:
Find and pursue ...

                    • God (Deut. 4:29, Prov. 8:35, Jer. 29:13)

                    • Righteousness, faith, love and peace (Prov. 21:21, Is. 51:1, I Tim. 6:11, 2 Tim. 2:22, 1 Peter 3:11)


                    • Rest and refuge in Him (Ps. 36:7, Ps. 62:1, 62:5, 91:4, Matt. 11:29)

                    • Delight in His Word (Ps. 112:1, 119:35, 119:52, Prov. 4:22)

                    • Knowledge and wisdom (Prov. 2:5, 3:13, 24:14, James 1:5)

                    • Satisfying work (Ecc. 5:18, 9:10)

                    • Joy (Is. 58:14)

                    • What pleases Him (Eph. 5:10)

                    • Grace (Heb. 4:16)

                    * Note: The author recognizes this verse is taken completely out of context. In this post, it is used for illustrative and entertainment purposes only. It is not an endorsement to pursue stalking (eww...creepy!)--especially the kind that involves "God told me" messages or following a girl everywhere (almost including a womens' restroom). These are real situations that have occurred, but should not be repeated, authorized or attempted at home, church or work--especially by anyone who has the sense to read this post and this crazy disclaimer.

                    No comments: