Thursday, July 24, 2008

When prayers are blocked

The Truth Project always makes me think. Always. And Wednesday night was no exception (and as a sidenote, here's what I posted the last time after I saw the very same lesson--completely different than this post).


Wednesday's lesson focused on sociology--God's view of relationships. The amazing speaker (Del Tackett), illustrated how the concepts of unity and diversity are embedded in God's very triune nature.


He also illustrated how God's systems for social order in the family, the church, etc. include similar concepts to those illustrated in the Trinity (e.g. Christ is the head of the Church, Church leaders submit to Christ and members are instructed to honor their leaders--just as the husband is the head of the family, wives submit to their husbands and children are told to honor their parents).


Among other things, one of the verses Del brought up was this:


Husbands, in the same way be considerate
as you live with your wives,
and treat them with respect
as the weaker partner
and as heirs with you
of the gracious gift of life,
so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
(1 Peter 3:7)
Whoa. That's pretty harsh. If husbands don't love and care for their wives, it hinders their prayers?


Perhaps it was because of the earlier discussion, but I started to wonder, "If this concept is true and applies to husbands and wives, could it possibly apply to other scenarios or spheres of God's design for social order?"


For example, if I'm dishonoring my parents, does it hinder my prayers? Or if I cease supporting Church leaders and reject their authority in my life, does it in some way block my prayers from reaching God's ears?

Honestly, I don't know the exact answer. But it definitely made me think (admittedly about some stuff that's not really that fun to think about!).


The bottom line? God designs and orchestrates so many of our relationships--and He takes them pretty seriously, especially those described in the Word as covenant relationships (e.g. family, Church worldwide). When there is a barrier between me and those I'm in a covenant relationship with, it can create a block between me and God. Why? Because God is part of my covenant relationships--He designed them.

I think it's pretty cool that God is a God of relationships--that He creates and lives in mine. I just have to remember not to allow anyone or anything to stand in the way of my relationship with Him.

No comments: