Sunday, August 3, 2008

Beautiful mystery

There are so many mysteries I will never understand (see this post for more).

Why do some guys feel the need to spit in public?

Why did people ever think Hammer pants looked cool?

Why so some people actually like Bob Dylan's music?

Joking aside, mysteries can both perplex and intrigue me. Like great music, movies, art or a message that you can listen to or watch over and over again and find something new and interesting each time. Or people who have basic surfacey stuff in common with you, but also have some mysterious depth that's interesting to discover.

Last Sunday at the Truth Project we talked about beautiful mysteries--the mystery of God's "adoption" of you and me into His family. That kind of love is, in the words of Will Ferrell (circa Blades of Glory), "mindbottling." It's beyond any love I've ever known or imagined on this planet. It doesn't make sense to my logical brain. But honestly, what truly great things ever do?

If something totally makes sense to my limited mind, it has lost its mystery...and perhaps that is the kiss of death in my book. Mystery is intriguing. It's worth pursuing. It's exciting.

I just have to remember that--instead of trying to wrap my head around everything (especially a God that can't be contained). There is beauty in mystery--and I am a little like Nancy Drew trying to discover some of the answers.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I love the Dylan and I spit in public sometimes. No mystery, just love Hurricane and sometimes I have to spit.

Jonita said...

LOL. :) Thanks for the comment, Kevin, even if you and your love of Bob Dylan and spitting in public are mysterious to me. I would guess that perhaps my love of discount shopping or Jane Austen could be mysterious to you.

Just curious...how did you find my blog?

Looks like you're in ministry (awesome!). Right now, I'm attending a conference for church leaders and pastors at my home church in Tacoma, WA. Hillsong London was with us for a night of worship last night and it was unbelievable! Anyway, I love that my home church cares about investing in pastors and church leaders (and I'm not on staff...so I'm not paid to say any of this!). Check out our website (www.championscentre.com). There may be some info. about next year's conference or a way to sign up for our free magazine or something. I know it's a little random, but I'd totally encourage you to check it out. All the best to you and your ministry.