Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Things I Don't Understand

Blogging is weird in the fact that it's a way for people to express their opinions and have them published automatically. It's strange because normally, you have to be some sort of expert to have your writing published with a byline ... and blogging gives you that position of "expertise" without external credibility.

So, instead of being a typical "full-of-herself and her own ideas" kind of blogger, today I thought I'd write about things I don't understand ... so here goes:

1. Pretty much the worst ad idea ever: The pregnancy test with a fountain splattering on it. As a genuine marketer, I wonder how many geniuses had to review and approve this commercial before it hit my television screen. What were they thinking?!?

2. The "Hey, I have a neck problem!" greeting - Have you ever passed someone on the street or a college campus who greets you by a quick jerk of their head (like "What's up?")? I think it's the equivalent of saying, "See! I'm acknowledging your presence (really) ... but I'm too cool to say anything or smile." So ridiculous.

3. People who make up words and phrases - We have this a lot in the investment industry--for example, has anyone outside of finance heard of "the quest for alpha" (perhaps a term invented by investment guys who really wanted to be superheroes)? How about "exposure management"? To me, "exposure management" sounds like something Britney Spears needs ... not a legitimate investment service for retirement plans.

4. Guys who wear skinny jeans

5. Colleagues who cook fish in the microwave. Ewwwwww... I like (some) seafood. But it's best at home or restaurants, not in a public work environment where your coworkers have to inhale it for an entire afternoon.

6. Star Wars/Star Trek superfans

7. Calculus

8. Why God created mosquitos

9. Inflatable holiday decorations - Besides looking completely ridiculous, these cheesy blow-up creations can cost $200 and more ... wouldn't that money be better spent giving to people/causes we care about?

10. Mullets and rat tails

No comments: