Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Friends and Family Plan

In small groups at church, we've been talking about friends and family--and how it's best when families are friends and friends are family.

I love this topic! So I thought I'd share a few of my own thoughts on the subject and maybe a few stories from my life. I'd love to hear more from any of you as well.

God Beat MCI
First, I think it's cool to remember that God planned for us to partner throughout life with friends and family--God developed the first "Friends and Family Plan" (not MCI!).

He chose our parents before we were born. He knew who our siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles would be. If you're like me, you may have some amazing family members who are your friends, mentors and confidantes ... but you probably have some relatives who are a little dysfunctional, too (even the "amazing" have issues--we're all people after all!). Does anyone else have an uncle who sings drunk karaoke? (God bless Him, but alcohol and microphones don't mix well!).

But because you're family, you work to get along--you're bound by blood and hopefully, by love. You learn from each other (even if it's only patience!) and grow together.

Similarly, God planned for us to have friends like family. I love how the Bible talks about Christians as "the family of God" - what an honor! Like my biological family, my Christian family is bound together by blood (Christ's) and love.

But even beyond the family of God, we are all called to friendships. It's important not to discount friendships with non-Christians--because those relationships may help them come to know Christ or even see glimpses of Him through us.

"Welcome to the family..."
Have you ever had an (almost) instant connection with someone? Or a moment when you know or feel like God put a friendship/acquaintance/relationship in your life for a reason? Here are a few examples I've experienced in my own life ... and I'd encourage you to think about some in your life as well:

  • Algebra anyone?
    I don't think I ever expected to meet my best friend in a math class ... but that's exactly what happened. It was the first day of 9th grade. I was sitting at a table with a few other friends when a new girl walked into class. "Would you like to sit with us?" I asked. And I think she was relieved to find a place.


    Anyway, we connected almost immediately--we both are the oldest children with two younger sisters (though she also got a "surprise" baby brother later!), we both have weird names, a similar sense of humor, and we both like to shop for deals--but beyond that, we share our faith and a similar commitment to church and ministry. Twelve years later, we've gone through a lot together ... and I know she has played a big part in shaping who I am today and challenging me to be better. And hopefully I've done some of the same things for her as well. :)

  • "Family" Holidays with Strangers
    My parents have been known to celebrate major holidays twice...we'll have extended family Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter and then church family Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter. I have to say that usually the "church family" holidays are more fun (I'll caveat it by saying my immediate family is usually at both events).

    I remember coming home from college for Easter and sitting in my parents' kitchen. This other girl was there smiling and holding a cup of coffee, "I'm Rebecca," she said, "What's your name?"

    "I'm Jonita. And I live here," I smiled and joked back and forth with Rebecca as we talked for awhile. She looked so at ease sitting in my parents' house--I found out later that Mom and Dad invited her to Easter dinner after meeting her at church. They didn't really know her well, but found out that her husband was working during the holiday and Rebecca would have probably spent it alone ... so they invited her over.

    As I looked around the room, I saw kids running around and people laughing and talking loudly ... we really did look like a (big, multi-cultural) family. Even though we all started as strangers, we are bound together through Christ and through "doing life together" friendship.

    On a (somewhat) different note--We have a church family friend (who's my Dad's age) who always greets us with, "Hey family!" and big hugs. I love that.

There's probably a million other examples I could write about...maybe more on this topic later.

No comments: