Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Naked Leader



I realize the title of this post may make some blog readers uncomfortable. But be assured--this is not a post about a nudist colony. :)

After a week at a leadership conference, these are the words that stick out in my (admittedly eccentric) brain.

What's a naked leader?

Someone who is:

  • Real

  • Open

  • Pure at heart

  • Genuine

  • Honest

  • Vulnerable
A naked leader is the kind of person you respect. You want to follow them because of who they are and what they represent (the highest level of leadership according to conference speaker John Maxwell).

Whoa! That's a tough description to live up to (and by the way, as I'm writing this, I'm definitely NOT saying that I do).

The "sheep and goats" leader v. The relational leader

Sometimes as a leader, it's much easier to fall back on a resume--or as one of my friends calls it in the dating scene "bringing out the sheep and goats." (My friend has a theory that even modern guys "bring out the sheep and goats" when they're romantically interested in someone--by talking about accomplishments, successes or history). In leadership, being a resume/"sheep and goats" leader is different than actually being a leader or allowing people to get to know the real you.

I think most of us prefer relational leaders. It's quick and easy to be a resume/"sheep and goats" kind of leader. Being relational takes time--but it's usually more effective. It means being interested in others, building trust, walking more than talking.

Three questions for every leader

In one of his sessions, John Maxwell listed the three questions people ask of every leader:
  • Can you help me?
  • Do you care for me?
  • Can I trust you?

These questions seem pretty basic. But I think for those of us who are Christians or Christian leaders, they are paramount. Because we represent Christ, if people don't know that we care about them, if they don't think they can trust us, how will they know that God cares about them or that they can trust Him? It's a huge responsibility ... and I can never take it lightly.

Leadership really boils down to integrity--does my life match my words? Am I interested in others genuinely, without preconceived ideas or selfish motives? Am I helpful only when it's convenient for me--or simply because I want to bless someone else?

These are the tough questions that I will probably ask my entire life. But it's my hope that even just asking the questions will help me stay aware of these attitudes and actions in my own heart--and that I'll continue to grow.

Leadership is a great responsibility and a great privilege. But even beyond that--leadership is the call of our lives to influence others.

No comments: