Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why Bold is Hot

So I was chatting with my sister the other day who happened to mention that a disportionately high number of single women volunteered at our church's recent BOLD mens' conference.

As one of those single women, I can honestly write that I wasn't specifically volunteering to meet or spend extra time with Mr. Right (though I'm not going to lie, it would have been nice...). :)

Honestly, I volunteered because:

A) I think it's important to support any guy (old, young, married, single) ... or any person for that matter ... who wants to grow in their faith.

B) I think it's important to "walk the talk" -- if we encourage the guys to volunteer at the womens' conference, us ladies should step up and volunteer for them.

C) I wanted to play Nintendo Wii and get a free henna tattoo. (I'm totally joking here -- but these were some side benefits of volunteering). :)

But back to the whole "Bold is hot" idea...

So why did so many single women sign up to help at the BOLD mens' conference? I think it's because the idea of a bold kind of guy is appealing.

It's true in the secular world, too. Just this past week I saw an article on MSN for guys titled "How to ask a woman out" (and of course I totally read it to see what "the other side" is hearing!). It doesn't talk about spending a fortune on clothes or a fancy car -- the article basically just encourages guys to be confident. And I found myself totally agreeing with a lot of its concepts.

But the idea of boldness is not restricted to guys ... us women should aim to be bold, too.

So what does a bold guy or girl look like?

  • Convicted
    (No, this doesn't mean that you have to go to jail to be really bold!) - To me, this kind of bold is someone who has strength of character -- he or she is convicted by the moral standards of the Bible and by a desire to live a life of integrity (being who they say they are). It means choosing to live a life that is restrained by the principles of God's Word -- while knowing that real freedom is only found within that "restraint."

  • Clear
    You know where bold people stand, what they believe, what they're passionate about. They don't play games or hide behind pretenses. Their intentions are obvious -- they go after what they want in life.

  • Confident
    Bold people walk in strength and security. They're not cocky, but they have this cool kind of vibe -- they're comfortable in their own skin and they make others feel comfortable, too.

  • Committed
    Bold people are committed -- to a cause, a church, their families -- something or someone they're willing to fight for. They don't waffle in the face of adversity or switch an opinion (those that really matter anyway) under pressure. They're decisive because they know what or who they're committed to.

No comments: