Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Hey! You look like..."


"Hey! You look like Snow White," someone once said to me. (Okay, so lots of people have said this to me.)

"No--she's more Betty Boop--sexy and sassy," someone else chimed in. (Can you see me blushing here?)

Once, when I was in junior high, I was at the Puyallup Fair and this woman stopped me. "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Marie Osmond?"

"Thanks," I replied. "Who's Marie Osmond?"

If I had known at the time, a fun reply would have been, "I'm a little bit country...and for three easy payments of $19.95, you too can own a new porcelain doll from my collection."

I really hope the woman was implying that I looked like the cute Marie in her younger years...and not the Marie that's about the same age as my parents which brings me to...

Rule #1: When telling someone that they look like someone else, only do so when the person you choose is known for being attractive.

As in, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Charlize Theron?" (I've actually had this one a few times, too. And the answer? "What was that again? Oh...thanks! Did I ever tell you how much I love you?") :)

DON'T say, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Napoleon Dynamite?" (Someone actually said this to a guy friend of mine--who will remain nameless for the sake of his ego.) Definitely avoid choosing celebs like Donald Trump, Janet Reno or Rosie O'Donnell--no one will feel flattered by these comparisons.

And while I honestly don't mind being compared to the cartoon people I mentioned above, it's probably a good move to avoid comparing people to Shrek or Ursula from the Little Mermaid-- the not-so-safe cartoons for lookalike comparisons.

Rule #2: Avoid cases of mistaken identity. Be especially cautious before hugging, kissing or grabbing at someone in public.

A few weeks ago I was at young adults' group and this guy--a complete stranger--saw me from across the room. He started walking up to me quickly with this huge smile and exclaimed, "Hey!" in this familiar way. He began to put his arms around me in this big hug when suddenly he saw the puzzled expression on my face. "I...I'm sorry. It's just that you look like this girl I know..."

I felt SO bad for this guy (I really didn't mean to look that terrified). "It's okay--don't worry about it," I smiled and shrugged. I honestly don't remember what happened next. I think the poor guy flew out of the room hoping I wouldn't remember his face (and it worked).

I know this is a really random post. The moral of the story? If you happen to tell someone, "Hey! Has anyone ever told you that you look like Janet Reno?", it is possible to lessen the effect of embarrassment and the likelihood that he/she will pin you to the ground with his/her linebacker physique...by running out of the room as fast as possible. (Okay, not the moral exactly...but hopefully this post was fun to read anyway.)

No comments: