Monday, March 24, 2008

My date with the Bachelor (circa 2003)

(Had to write this story since a few of you asked)

There's a famous quote that says something like, "Every day, do something that scares you."

I'm not exactly a huge risk taker, but I (sometimes) deliberately do things to push myself. Getting more to the point--dating can be scary. But blind dates? Even scarier.

Let's rewind to 2003. I had just finished college and started working. I had moved back home--away from most of the friends who had become like my second family. And I was a little bored.

So I randomly decided to enter this radio contest for "The World's Biggest Blind Date"--a breakfast/party hosted by a radio station featuring an appearance by the Bachelor at the moment.

I didn't have a crush on him or anything, but knew my new work colleagues (reality TV fans) would get a kick out of it. And I knew that a) it would be fun or 2) I would get a good story.

On the morning of the date, I wore this cute dress, drove up to Bellevue Square and got out of my car at the restaurant. I had this mini panic moment, "What am I doing here? Why am I doing this?" But I pushed past it and walked through the doors of the restaurant. By myself.

My blind date was this guy named Jeff. He was actually really nice and we carried on a good conversation. We laughed and there wasn't a lot of weird awkward silence. It probably helped that both of us were just there to have fun. He wasn't a Christian and there wasn't a "spark", so I knew I wouldn't date him...but it was cool to walk into this big room full of complete strangers and to know that I could have fun and make a friend for the day.

So at the end of the morning, Bachelor Bob came to the event and I stood in line to get a souvenir picture. I didn't get to talk to him a lot, but he was nice...definitely a charmer kind of guy...you know? Like one of those waiters who instantly calls you "sweetie" (even when you're both the same age) and bends down at the table so he can look you in the eyes closely.

I got back to work and shared the picture with my coworkers. And then my Dad called for the date debrief. As part of the conversation, he asked, "Did you see any TV cameras there?'

"No--not at all."

Later that day, I got a few phone calls. "I saw you on TV!"

What?!?

It turns out that Bob was interviewed on a local TV show that afternoon. The host asked, "What do you think of the women in Seattle?"

"They've been really nice...and there's definitely some gorgeous girls in Seattle," Bob answered. All of the sudden, the screen flashed to video footage of the Bachelor with his arm around me.

So that's the story. Not necessarily riveting, but a random, fun life experience.

I almost forgot something weird that happened later--about a month after my date. My sister and I were on vacation near Vancouver, BC (near my alma mater). We were in the elevator of our hotel and it stopped on another floor on our way to the lobby. The doors to the elevator opened and this familiar-looking guy walked on.

"Are you...Jeff?"

It turned out to be my blind date from Bellevue in the middle of BC. What are the odds of something like that happening? It's definitely a small world sometimes...

No comments: