Monday, June 30, 2008

My one prayer

I love cards.

Last weekend, I was actually given two in one day. One was a thank you note from two elderly women my team helped as part of the Justice Project (bringing hope, love and change to our community!)--and the other was from a great friend. In particular, one thing my friend wrote stood out to me. Inside the card, I saw the words, "You love in a big way."

As I read these words, I paused and thought, “Maybe I do…sometimes. But how would the world be different if I loved ‘in a big way’ all the time? Or even if I just tried?”

The thought resurfaced as I sat in church that evening. Right now, my church is participating in the One Prayer series with hundreds of other churches around the world. In each video message, a speaker presents "one prayer" for the Church worldwide.

At the end of last week’s message, one of our pastors challenged the congregation to consider, “What’s your one prayer?”

“Lord, help us love big.”

As I thought about the question, the words of my friend came back to me along with a kaleidascope of other questions and conversations of the past week.

For example, as part of the Truth Project, we’ve been repeatedly considered, “What if what you really believed was really real?” It’s one thing to say, “I know God loves me. I know God wants me to love others.” But it means something completely different to live as if God really does love me with an indescribable, constant, perfect love—the same kind of love I’m called to share with others.

“Show me.”

This morning, I was listening to some new music by Jon Foreman (lead singer of Switchfoot) and it prompted me to write the following prayer/poem/song [ I don’t know what exactly…and obviously :) ] of the lost.

Show me more than colored lights and sound effects.
Show me love in darkness and the light of your heart.
Give me more than beautiful noise.
Give the truth a beautiful voice.
Care about more than cars and clothes.
Care that I need love and hope.

Live love.
Give grace.
Speak truth.
Be change.

Live for more than your hopes and dreams.
Live to bring hope to all you meet.
Know more than verses and religious words.
Know that I’ve been bruised and hurt.
See beyond the mirror and stage.
See a life that can be saved.

Live love.
Give grace.
Speak truth.
Be change.

No comments: