Sunday, June 15, 2008

The other side


Last week, I read a book called Darcy's Story by Jane Aylmer. It's based on my all-time favorite, Pride and Prejudice, but told from Mr. Darcy's point of view this time. Pride and Prejudice will always be my favorite (who could really top the genius that is Jane Austen?), but I was intrigued by the whole concept of viewing the same story from a different perspective.

When I first read P&P in high school, I really didn't like Mr. Darcy. After all, he's the guy who offended the amazing Elizabeth Bennet with his stand-offish manner and the appearance of arrogance. But as I read the whole story, my view changed. And, like Elizabeth, I realized that I had been a bit prejudiced against him.

I wonder how many times in my daily life that same prejudice rears its ugly head. I try not to be too judgmental. As a writer, I try to believe that "everybody has a story."

Don't get me wrong--I also believe in right and wrong. But I'm starting to understand that it's not about me versus "the other side" or "us" versus "them." I'm starting to see that most people try to do the best they know how to do--meaning that they may be captivated by thinking that is different. It's not me versus them, but rather a clash of ideas.

Sometimes, I am also captivated by thinking that is wrong or sometimes, I am just grounded in believing something is "right" because it is what I have known.

Overcoming my own bad ideas and prejudice will be the task of a lifetime, but I am trying to be shaped by God's perspective, His view of people and His view of right and wrong. His view is beyond "everybody has a story"--His view is "everybody is worth dying for"--and that is something I know is true.

No comments: