Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Life Lessons from "Pride and Prejudice"



I have a confession: I will never get tired of Pride and Prejudice.


Not because I'm a Meg Ryan-wannabe circa You've Got Mail. Or because I love the male lead character Mr. Darcy (actually, I don't think a personality like his would work for me). And definitely not because I completely identify with Elizabeth Bennet (sort of...sort of Jane...sort of neither).


I think I love Pride and Prejudice (and always will) because it's timeless. And it's funny. Jane Austen writes about characters that seem strangely like people I've actually met. And the book raises themes and issues that still ring true in 2007. Here are a few examples:


  • Family matters. P&P covers a lot of interesting family dynamics--the close bond of sisters Elizabeth and Jane, the domino effects of choices within a family (e.g. Lydia and Kitty's behavior toward military officers, Mrs. Bennet's lack of tact), family expectations (Lady Catherine's hopes for Mr. Darcy's marriage, Caroline Bingley's "protection" of her brother), and more.


  • (Written) words are powerful. Throughout the book, letters prove to be a significant communication tool that shape peoples' attitudes and reveal their true nature. (I won't give away anything in case you haven't read it yet.) But as a writer myself, it's interesting to think about how careful phrasing is important, how people read (and re-read) written pieces and how much written words can have an impact.

    How many of us have read (or re-read) significant notes, cards or letters in our lives? There's something cool about looking at an old high school yearbook, a birthday card from a friend or an encouraging note from a leader ... they can help us remember a moment in our lives and speak to us long after their original delivery.

  • First impressions are important ... but not always accurate. Throughout the book, first impressions shape "prejudices" and preferences that don't always turn out right. Repeatedly the characters have to overcome their initial impressions of others.


  • People need an appropriate balance between self-awareness and consideration of others. Mr. Collins never ceases to crack me up ... he's sort of a mix between Michael and Dwight from "The Office". I think it's because of how unaware he is of himself and how people perceive him--and also because of how much he overflatters (and basically, kisses up non-stop) to people undeserving of such admiration. By no means does the book endorse disrespect--but more genuine human respect, grace and kindness for everyone (versus for example, Mr. Collins' favoritism toward those in high society).

Pride and Prejudice is fun, but it also makes me think about these issues (and more) in my own life. And I'm not an expert--but I think the best things in life--the best people in life--are those that are fun and at the same time, challenge me to be better.

No comments: