Monday, June 11, 2007

Father knows best


I have the world's coolest Dad. I know a lot of people may give their dads those "#1 Dad" t-shirts, hats, ties and coffee mugs, but I actually think my Dad is one of the world's best (and yes, I have told him!).

Last year for Father's Day, I bought my dad the book "Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons" (if you're looking for a Father's Day gift, this is a good one!). It's basically a collection of people's stories about their dads. At the front of the book, there's a space for you to write a letter to your own dad, telling him what you appreciate about him. My dad LOVED it!

Anyway, I thought that in his honor, I'd blog about some of the best things I've learned from my Dad (so far) . This list is a good reminder for me and I thought it might inspire you as well:
  • "If you see a need, meet it." This is one of Dad's famous phrases--usually he would say it to my sisters and I to get us to do the dishes, feed the dog or vacuum. :) But it's one of my favorite Dad quotes because it's all about taking responsibility to help others or solve problems--and really applies to any situation at work, home, ministry and relationships.

  • Be generous even when no one's watching. My Dad absolutely loves doing kind things for others anonymously. I can't tell you how many times we've been at restaurants and he's bought dinners anonymously for a soldier in uniform, a young couple with kids ... you name it. We sometimes joke that if Dad won the lottery (which he doesn't play), that the money would be gone in an instant because he would give it all away to bless someone else.

  • Keep life interesting--be spontaneous (sometimes). I am a planner (yes, oldest child syndrome!), but my Dad is totally spontaneous. I can remember being about 12 years old and hearing, "We're going to Disneyland ... tomorrow!" (and no, my parents didn't plan the trip in advance and keep it a secret for a long time--they just planned it very quickly with help from a travel agent). His spontaneity helped me to develop a little more flexibility--even though I still plan and organize a lot. :)

  • Be passionate about what you believe in. I can remember growing up and being in my room quietly reading or chatting with my best friend on the phone and hearing loud shouting coming from the living room. I would walk out to the hallway and look around. No one was angry. No one won the lottery ... it was just Dad cheering on his favorite sports' team! Dad brings that same passionate approach to everything he loves in life--there's nothing ho-hum about how he volunteers, worships God or cares for our family. He puts his heart into it.

  • Real strength requires real humility. Even though he was raised mostly by a single mom, Dad is definitely a guys' guy. He loves sports, action movies and hanging out with his guy friends. But he was never too tough to say "I love you", pick us up from school and cook dinner when Mom had to work late, hold our bags or purses at the mall (he would sometimes offer even when we felt bad asking), or watch a chick flick with Mom and all of us girls once in awhile (he probably knows the lines to "Sleepless in Seattle" better than I do!).
I could probably go on and on forever, but I guess what's probably the best thing about Dad is that he continually does his best to model Christ's love. Whether or not you have a dad like mine, there may be other people in your world who set that example for you--and I think it's important to show appreciation for them--whether they're moms, mentors, coaches, teachers, pastors, bosses or other leaders.

No comments: