Monday, March 12, 2007

Common Law Church?

What's a piece of paper worth? A lot--if it means your heart, your life, your time.

Most Christians would agree with the statement above if it applies to marriage. But what about church membership? If we're attending or participating at a church--does it really matter if we "make it official" and become a church member?

Church Consumers
Of course! If we just attend a church without becoming part of it, it's like a common law marriage. We become users of the church without committing ourselves wholly to it. We consume, instead of creating community. Church becomes "a place I like to hang out" (notice the "I" focus) instead of the center of our lives.

Don't get me wrong--we should enjoy being at church. It should be fun, inspiring and a place where we have friendship with others. Those things are all important. But if that's all church is to us, we miss out on the beauty of belonging to something bigger than ourselves.

The Opportunity to Influence
I think these thoughts struck me this weekend when I was talking with some of my friends about finding church volunteers and some of the qualities we should look for in small group leaders. As we talked, several of us highlighted stories of approaching people to lead and hearing, "I'm too busy" or "Small group is the place where I come to get filled up myself, not lead". These responses break my heart ... because these people are missing out on an incredible opportunity to influence. If Christ gave His life for the church, can't we give 2 hours a month to help lead a small group--or serve in some other way?

The People Who "Get It"
On the flip side, the people who get these principles continue to amaze me. Yesterday, I was at a meeting at our church volunteers--a church of over 5,000 members--and maybe 400 regular volunteers. Some of them hold several jobs and go to school--and somehow manage to volunteer in multiple parts of the church and/or other community organizations. They're busy! They have friends, families and successful careers...but they love church and they love life.

The key? They've dedicated their lives to serving because they've found something worth committing to--and they see the rewards of belonging.

Question: How do those of us who "get it" encourage others to follow our example of belonging and serving?

No comments: