Thursday, March 15, 2007

Danger: You've Reached the Comfort Zone


"People should get out of their comfort zones on a daily basis. Take up knitting and boxing. It will make you so much more interesting."

- Raymond Lawson, Starbucks customer from Aurora, Illinois

It’s amazing what you can get for $2.67—a mocha and an epiphany (thanks to Starbucks!). The quote above appeared on my coffee cup yesterday morning and it made me think...what am I doing to get out of my comfort zone?

A Bumpy Ride Ahead ...
I should caveat this entry by saying that I'm definitely not a risk-taker by nature. For me, risk-taking probably isn't bungee jumping ... but something like trying the vegetables I've avoided my entire life or different types of ethnic cuisine (cauliflower or curry anyone?).

So what have I done in the last year (or what am I planning to do) to step out of my comfort zone?
  • Fly on an airplane and go on a trip all by myself (I did this for the first time last February and survived--L.A. taxi trips and all).
  • Attend a Greek festival (Did you know they really say, "Opa!"?)
  • Cook asparagus. This was a major milestone for the one girl on the planet afraid of salad. :)
  • Go to a rodeo. Yee haw! I ventured to the good old Puyallup Fair this fall with some friends and had a great time watching some people with some serious courage.
  • Ride a horse. My Little Sister (from Big Brothers, Big Sisters) and I are going horseback riding in April--and I haven't done that since I was about 7.
  • Make more new friends. By nature, I like to have a few friends that are really close. But it's also cool to have a bigger group of friends that are different from me, that help me learn from or share new experiences with. Making new friends takes time, work and effort--but it's worth it.

Stepping out of my comfort zone isn't really about trying to be more interesting--it's about challenging myself to grow and experience new things. In fact, I think it's that characteristic--that desire to grow and try new things--that makes people interesting.

So try boxing. Take up snowboarding. Or try some asparagus ... you'll be better for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you eat any of the asparagus you cooked?

-Health Nazi

Jonita said...

Yes--it's actually pretty good. My sister (Martha Stewart undercover) roasted it with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. I think not overcooking it is key...but I am warming up to green foods. :)