Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Right Stuff

As I write the title of this post, I'm thinking a little about my days as a New Kids on the Block fan back in the fourth grade (sing with me--Oh oh oh oh oh...).

But more than that, I'm thinking about the importance of the right timing. At small group this week, we were talking about one of God's promises for those who tithe--to protect us from doing the right thing at the wrong time.

To be honest, I don't think I ever realized this was one of God's promises. I've prayed before for "the right things at the right time"--especially when it comes to big decisions about my career, relationships, college or finances.

But I don't think I actually saw "the right things at the right time" as a promise I could stand on. And there's definitely a difference.

If I had my way, I would have "the right things right now" (See "The Waiting Game" post for more on that). But I'm not God--and "right now" might be all wrong.

Thank God He's smarter than me. We can trust in His promises and protection.

I actually have specific stories in my life where He has protected me from having the right thing at the wrong time...and there are probably a countless amount of other examples I don't even know about.

It's pretty cool to think about, actually--so much cooler than me in my leggings, slap bracelet (does anyone remember those?) and flourescent t-shirt rollerskating around singing "Oh oh oh oh oh. The right stuff" along with Jordan, Joey and the NKOTB gang back in the day. I guess there's a right time for everything--and that time has definitely passed. :)

No comments: