Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Why I Love the Elderly


"That will be $10.83," said the cashier, an elderly woman in her seventies, as she rang up my new pair of earrings.

I swiped my debit card and entered my PIN as if on autopilot (which is probably kind of scary!). The cashier turned to hand me the receipt and the bag containing my new earrings, when she stopped abruptly and said, "Oh my! You're attractive."

"Thank you," I replied and then joked back, "It's too bad a nice single guy isn't telling me that."

"Well," she said in a sassy style, "There must be something wrong with them!"

This little exchange made me smile. I love how older people tend to say whatever they think (especially if it's something positive--sorry guys).

There is something particularly powerful about encouragement from a stranger. I think sometimes we believe it's normal that our parents, relatives and friends think we're beautiful, talented and amazing. But when a stranger or new friend tells you something like that, it' s just cool ... it's unexpected. That lady didn't know me or that I had had a particularly stressful week--and her simple, sassy words and spirit encouraged me.

A compliment is a compliment no matter who it comes from.

No comments: