Sunday, January 13, 2008

Settlin', Strength and The Single Girl

It all started with a mid-life crisis ...

It's time for an intervention. My Mom and Dad are in a crisis ... a mid-life country music crisis. That's right--two people I love, the same sane (and amazing!) people who raised me, have an inexplicable newfound love of country music.

I have evidence--they regularly watch the music videos of their favorite artists. This summer, they went to a country music festival in Seattle (we told them, "No flame shirts allowed!"). And would you believe that after my Dad's heart surgery last year, his first music request was for some song called "Hillbilly Deluxe"? What has happened to turn the world upside down?

Mom and Dad are on a quest to convert my sisters and I into fellow country fans by introducing us to new-to-them songs and artists. One of Mom's favorites? A band called Sugarland. Yes, the name sounds a bit cheesy to those of us non-country converts out there. I would probably be drawn to the band more if they were named Chocolateland or something. :) But in all seriousness, I have to admit that some of their songs are actually ... good.

A song called "Settlin'"

Here are some of the lyrics to a Sugarland song called "Settlin'":

I ain't settling for just getting by
I've had enough so so for the rest of my life
Tired of shooting too low, so raise the bar high
Just enough ain't enough this time
I ain't settling for anything less than everything

And some strong single girls

The words to "Settlin'' came to mind recently because of a few situations and conversations I've had with different people. It all started when I saw this "good girl" spending some serious time and energy flirting with a "bad boy." Then there was a friend who told me that a guy said to her, "Guys are intimidated by girls like you--girls that are strong. Sometimes it's just easier to be with someone else." (And yes, I've heard similar stuff firsthand, myself.) Then there's another friend who is dating someone who has X, Y and Z qualities that are great, but doesn't have the same strong commitment to God or church (a non-negotiable quality for her).

And it made me wonder--how many people are working a job, in a relationship and living life in the status quo simply because it's easy, safe or comfortable?

It's never satisfying to dilute your strength, to cave in on your non-negotiable standards, to lose the core of who you are--for anything or anybody.

I really hope that in particular, the strong women I know never hold back strength in their personality, faith, intelligence or success because some wimpy guy is a bit intimidated by them. Flirting or falling for guys like that isn't worth your time. Instead of being scared or intimidated, they should step up, grow up and get some strength themselves.

I've seen enough great relationships in the lives of friends to know that the right guy will be strong enough to love you even if you're smart, confident or even if you (gasp!) are successful in your job and make more money than him--he might even love you because of your strength.

We're here on this planet to love God and to love people. To live in a way that honors our Creator by doing the best we can with what we've been given. You can't do that if you settle for less.

I'll leave you with a quote I found recently in a magazine related to this topic:

"Who knows
how many
wonderful world-changing, life-changing, fortune-changing or just day-changing ideas
bit the dust
because someone smart, talented and passionate
gave away
her power?"

~ Gail Blanke, "What are you waiting for?" Real Simple magazine. September 2007

No comments: